Integrative Counseling Services tries to be a good neighbor in our Rock Hill and York County communities ..... we join, we mingle, we serve .... as relative newcomers to the area, it’s the best way to get to know our neighbors and let them get to know us as well. In 2012 though, that’s really not enough. People spend more time on computers now than they do out in the real world. Whether for work, research, or play ... that’s where you’ll find them ... and where they’ll look for you, too. So we’ve also been finding our way around the Internet, joining in the networking trend on social media.
But in our field, we must walk through the virtual community very carefully. By now we should all be aware that “nothing that enters cyberspace (i.e., Facebook, Blogger, and LinkedIn) is ever completely secure.” Simply stated, there’s no guarantee of privacy or confidentiality.
You are probably accustomed to virtual connecting or relating (i.e., “friending, liking, linking” and other types of feedback or responses); however, ICS’s use of social media is intended solely as a platform to share information regarding services, resources, etc. as they apply to mental and emotional health; and possible referrals for today’s challenges in emotional and mental health. So our use of Facebook, Blogger, and LinkedIn is limited to sharing general information, services, and resources.
Safety Precautions When Visiting Us in Our Social Media Communities
The following are guidelines to using our virtual Community - the social media:
- There can be no expectation of privacy or confidentiality on Facebook, Blogger, and LinkedIn. Be aware that all online postings, blogs, or chats may be viewed by others and will stay online in some form, forever. Be careful what you say or ask on any social media.
- Integrative Counseling Services, LLC, will be unable to:
- provide therapy or counseling via Facebook, Blogger, and LinkedIn
- disclose personal information about its staff and/or clients
- be a ”friend” or socialize. Both American Psychological Association (APA) and American Counseling Association (ACA) are clear about boundaries between counselor/therapist/psychologist and client (i.e., dual relationship). Integrative Counseling Services, LLC, does not accept friend requests from clients on any social networking site, Facebook, Blogger, and LinkedIn. Adding clients as friends on these sites can compromise your confidentiality and our respective privacy and professional relationship. For the same reason, Integrative Counseling Services, LLC, request that clients do not communicate with us via any interactive or social networking websites.
- Do not post your e-mail address, phone number, date of birth or physical address or any other personal information on Facebook, Blogger, or LinkedIn
- Avoid discussing confidential matters in Facebook, Blogger, and LinkedIn, even in general terms.
If you should post, be thoughtful -- really think through what you’re posting -- knowing that the “world” will have access. Please do not include confidential, private, or personally-identifiable information, whereby clients or others could recognize themselves or be identified by others.
Disclaimer: Social media such as Facebook, Blogger, and LinkedIn are not endorsed by or affiliated with Integrative Counseling Services, LLC, or any of its staff. By using these social media sites, you are agreeing that you have read, understand, and agree with our disclaimer, and have also read disclaimers on the social media sites themselves, and adjusted your content and privacy settings accordingly. We cannot be held accountable for things you post publicly on our social media pages, or any social media connection.
That being said, we hope you’ll use our virtual community pages below for the purpose for which they were intended .... as a means of getting resource information. If you would like to schedule a time to come by and talk to us privately, please contact us for an appointment.